I just submitted my final grades and I’m hoping to write a proper post soon. But in the meantime….
A couple of days ago I went to the library to return a pile of unread books I knew I wasn’t going to have time for right now. And to pick up one that I had requested, only that one. But I accidentally wandered over to the new books shelf and came home with four (and then an ebook hold came in). This is what I’ve got:
At least this selection fits my current mood better than those I returned.
- Baksheesh, second in an Istanbul-set series with a German heroine who runs a mystery book shop; I just read the first one, and I bought the third recently. (This was my hold request).
- Down Among the Dead Men, which I’m reading now. This is the latest (I think) in Lovesey’s Peter Diamond series. I dip in and out of it but have enjoyed the ones I’ve read.
- Longing, which is set in a Welsh coal-mining town and features labor unrest, something I am interested in romance thanks to Elizabeth Gaskell. I’ve been wanting to read this Balogh for a while.
- I don’t know anything about A Corner of White, despite being sure I’ve read some reviews at some point, but I’ve loved Jaclyn Moriarty before.
- Jefferson’s Negroland was on a lot of best-of lists this year.
So that’s probably my reading for the rest of the year. Or not, if my mood changes. I’m also still hoping to read some Superromances (in fact I started Molly O’Keefe’s Temptation of Savannah O’Neill) and maybe Angela Thirkell’s Wild Strawberries.
After Christmas I might feel like some of the holiday romance in my TBR. But I’m not in the holiday spirit yet, except in the sense that I want books to engross and distract me, and nothing that feels like “homework.”
What are you reading to end the year?